Monday, May 18, 2009

Very very sad update

Well, I've stopped spontaneously bursting into tears. So that is good. Those of you who are still checking may have noticed that the updates have kind of dried up. The reason for this is that we have been battling some 'not quite right' issues for a while now. Originally, we thought we were dealing with issues in the right hock. So we ramped up oral supplements. After that time, we moved TBM home. Then he got his feet trimmed, and he was tender on the harder footing at home. Gave him about 10 days off. So, he was moving great on this feet (his soles toughened up very nicely). And then he was gimpy on his left front. And we traced it to a VERY tender spot on his shoulder. *sighs* Unfortunately, he has an old injury in that left shoulder. We did some DMSO every other day for a week. He seemed better. Actually, he was GREAT! He was moving out really well. And then yesterday I went out to tack him up and ride him for the first time since he's moved home. And the leading edge of the dressage saddle flap sits RIGHT on the sore spot on his shoulder. *sighs* Even without his saddle, he was gimpy.

I officially reached the 'I can't do this anymore' point. So, as TBM was walking dutifully around the roundpen, I bawled my eyes out. We didn't have much time together, but the time we did have was great. This horse has touched my heart in a very profound way. He is the consummate gentleman. He never says 'No'. He tries and tries. He is always happy to see me. He has just a tiny bit of 'naughty' in him to be playful, but never over the line. I looked forward to seeing him every day.

There will be a big hole in my life as TBM and I part ways. But I plan, 100%, to breed my thoroughbred mare to him once I get her up here. I want to be sure that I have a part of this amazing horse in my life.

Thanks to everyone who followed our little progress. I'm so sad that I don't have a happier ending. =( I do plan to go out and do a glamor shots day. He's still pretty toned up, and I want to capture that! So, I'll do one more update with the photos when I get them. I want to get at least one photo that is nice enough to frame and add to my 'horses who have touched my life' shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment