Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Answers to Vic's questions

"What is the dressage go button? Is it repeatedly tapping the horse's ribs with your heal? I noticed this in a dressage video (the only one I've ever seen). It was done when riding a young Fjord for the very first time by a professional (German, I think) dressage trainer. Is that how the go button is developed? Or is the continual heal tapping a part of all dressage? ...as a way to move the horse forward into your hands? Or is it just done in the very beginning? I watched a whole group of imported Fjords being ridden in dressage for their first rides. Most accepted the heal tapping very well, but a few twisted their tail and were annoyed by it. Probably not understanding it. The video I saw had very little talking, so that's why I have the questions."

Ok, Vic. As promised, now that my brain is back and functioning, I'm gonna tackle some of your questions. Ideally, the 'go button' is the seat. The riders seat should be the ultimate communication tool between horse and rider. In the very best of circumstances, an onlooker really shouldn't see the rider doing very much. Here's a good video for training your eye:



This is Reiner Klimke and Ahlerich from the 1984 Olympics in LA. You'll notice that Dr. Klimke doesn't move all that much! He is a bit more 'active' in his riding before he enters the arena, but once he's in that arena, he is VERY quiet.

Here is another video, with great commentary. On a side note, I got to meet Catherine at this show, and watched this ride live. It was very dramatic and FUN!



That is Catherine Haddad performing her Grand Prix freestyle at the 2007 FEI World Cup Dressage Finals. You see she is a bit more active in her riding than Dr. Klimke, but still a VERY quiet rider.

Often, when you are dealing with horses that are new to dressage (or riding at all!), you have to be much more active in your riding and ride with bigger movements. You have to be very clear in what you are asking the horse to do, because they don't know yet! That may explain what you saw in that video of the Fjords.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Shelby, tremendously! So the rider has to really learn to control those muscles in the seat. That must take some time. (Flexing there now - lol) There are so many different muscles down there. You wouldn't want to just re-position yourself and accidently flex the wrong one. (ha!) I think I'm going to have to read to find out which muscle to move. Seems like explaining it could get rather embarrasing. And I'm a biology major too. lol Or maybe that's the problem! Tammy taught us (in e-mail) that to signal forward, first try voice, then seat, then leg. So it looks like the seat is the preferred method. I'm going to rush now to your other message to see what book to read.

    Thanks for the videos, too! I have to wait until I get back to work to watch them. I don't have enough bandwidth here at home.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing videos. The horse has a really good mind and is really thinking. No room to space out. Rider too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, not much 'space out' time at that level of riding. Every moment the horse and rider and communicating, reading each other, giving feedback. Just about any horse can give that to you, it's just that most people a) don't want that! and b) don't know how to encourage that in their horse if they DO want it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering about that. I do want it. Even if we (the horse and I) are enjoying the surroundings together, I want both of us to be totally open and aware of each other, in- tune and ready to respond to signals if given, so we can take care of eachother. To me, that is the whole fun of going on a trail ride with a horse. Otherwise it would be like riding a 4-wheeler, one that sometimes needed oiling.

    ReplyDelete