Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Ugh. Some days, I just suck as a rider. *sighs*

And today was one of them. TBM was good, as always. I just could not sit up and open to save my soul. I have a bad habit of collapsing in my upper body, slouching. Which has a very negative impact on my ability to ride tactfully. We shared the arena with two horses today, one of which TBM is very fascinated with. I started out with too much hand, right off the bad. DOH! I know better. Well, that made getting him forward so much more difficult. And, in hindsight, I never really got him loosened up and swinging in the back. That is just no good. What a wasted ride. =(

Not his fault at all, I was just not in the game today. Days like this really disappoint me, because I feel like I wasted a great opportunity for progress. I'd like to come up with excuses...I'm tired, the shift change at work, my new position at work, blah blah blah. But, bottom line: I knew I was tired. So I should have planned that into the ride. Today would have been a perfect day to go for a trail ride. Positive, easy, and not a waste.

Now the big question is: How do I fix this tomorrow? Do I go for the trail ride, or do I push myself to ride better? I guess I won't know until I drive into the barn parking lot tomorrow. If I'm feeling as pooped as I did today, out to the trail we head. I am NOT going to waste another day on crappy riding like I did today.

And bless TBM for his patience with me today. He was telling me in no uncertain terms that I was riding like a sack of potatoes, and he wasn't appreciating it. But he still tried for me, sweet boy.

I find that we rarely deserve the breaks that horses give us.

No comments:

Post a Comment