Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Met an APP candidate today!

I met a very sweet little 3 year old arab mare today. We will call her 'candidate A'. I had the opportunity to do a little ground work and lunging. She was such a good girl! I enjoyed her disposition quite a bit. She is still growing, and a little croup high right now. She's in a little bit of a gawky stage, which I'm sure she'll outgrow within the next few months. She has not been started undersaddle yet, so she is a blank slate, just waiting for the right information.

Couple different things that are nice about Candidate A: 1) There is no retraining here. It would be the opportunity to just start correctly from the get go. 2) I know the people who own the barn she is boarded at, and already have a relationship with them. 3) Her owners have other horses they ride, so she would not be shared while I am working with her. (Kind of a major PLUS.)

Drawbacks of Candidate A: 1) She is young. I don't start horses before they are 3, so she meets that criteria. But the first year is pretty light work. 2) Because of her age, I wouldn't expect to do much past Intro Level this summer. As I recall, there were not many Intro classes offered at the Alaska dressage shows.

So, as of right now, Candidate A is still a prime candidate. I was supposed to meet Candidate B today, but was not able to find the barn! *laughs* So, hopefully I'll be able to meet Candidate B within the next week.

Now that the weather has warmed up, it is so much easier to work out the details of the entire APP situation. As of right now, I have 3-4 potential candidates. I will meet each of them, and hope to make a decision soon. I am itching to get started, I feel like I'm already so far behind!!

If you have a horse you think might benefit from my APP, please feel free to email me. I am still considering candidates that meet the requirements. You can email me at: dressagefun at mtaonline dot net.

No comments:

Post a Comment